My DH and I came up with a neat way of hanging the triptych. Since it was so wide (about 93"), made up of 3 pieces and I wanted to maintain a gap between each -- we decided to use threaded rods and bolts.
Each rod was a little longer than each panel. Each end rod was finished off with a cap nut. The connection devise to attach the end rods to the middle rod consisted of a 1" long coupling nut. Everything was spray painted black. Because of the length of the assembled rod and the weight of the triptych 4 support points are necessary when hanging the quilt from the wall.
All the parts were purchased at Home Depot.
After the rod was complete we tested our little designed by hanging the quilt from it over a few days.
Here are a few pics of the rods -- before painting.